Monday, November 7, 2011

Fascinating book by "Lady Blue Eyes"

Am currently reading a book I have a hard time laying aside. It's an autobiography by Barbara Sinatra, Frank's wife for over 20 years and who was with him to the end. Lady Blue Eyes: My Life With Frank, published by Crown Archetype in May of 2011, is not only a factual, anecdote-filled documentary, it's also an intimate and romantic look at what it was like to be a female being seduced by the Chairman of the Board. I'm reading the treatise on my Kindle (3-keyboard model), but it's also available for the Barnes & Noble Nook and, of course, as a traditional hard-cover volume.

Mrs. Sinatra tells of her first two marriages prior to wedding Sinatra. The book is filled with countless, "inside" and never-before-told anecdotes about life with, I submit, the all-time best pop singer on the planet. I've read a lot of books on Sinatra, yet she's telling me stories about "Ol' Blue Eyes" that I've never heard before, like this one:

"Italians like to fight and it doesn't mean anything. At Jilly's Saloon (a restaurant in New York City owned by Frank's bodyguard and ever-present pal, Jilly Rizzo), there was an irreverent Chinese cook named Howie. Late at night after a show, Frank would get on the funnel down to the basement kitchen and yell, 'Howie! Send up some food.' Howie would reply, 'Fut you, Mr. Sinatra!' and Frank would shout back, 'Fut you too, Howie!'"

There's more to that particular story, it's in the book. When I first noticed the title I thought everything that could be written about Sinatra had already been reported, like with Bob Dylan. But after I downloaded Barbara's book and started reading, I was hooked from page one. Her style is economical yet colorful. A fast-paced, interesting read I recommend to any fan of the one-and-only, the totally unique singer/actor who takes the term "super star" to a level I don't believe anyone, so far, has matched.

You can order this book by clicking on the Amazon link below:


No comments: