Comments are encouraged. Use the comment feature below each post. If it's not working or you have difficulty with it, please email your comments to me at my email address in the masthead above. I will be happy to add them to the post.

Friday, February 7, 2014

Seeing a photograph

Christmas martini - photograph by Dmitrii Osipovskii  (posted with permission)
I wish I could see a photographic opportunity like my friend Dmitrii does. It was Christmas Eve and our thoughtful and generous host had just mixed another batch of Kettle One vodka martinis. I sat my glass on a table near a big, comfy recliner. As soon as I did, my friend, the photographer, crouched down nearby with his camera. He saw how the drink, the Santa, the plant and the vase combined to present him with a photograph or, more accurately, a work of art.

As Susan Sontag once said: "Photography is, first of all, a way of seeing." Add to that something that the visual art critic, Clement Greenberg, wrote: "The photograph has to tell a story if it is to work as art." Dmitrii's "martini" photo combines both of those principles. He saw in those objects a beautiful photograph and, as you look at what he saw, you can imagine the story behind it. At least I can. I was there and the martini was superb!

No comments: