Sunday, March 10, 2013

For your friends who don't return books

Recently, a friend of my was complaining that her book-borrowing friends weren't returning them. I suggested the remedy may be a bookplate I constructed from the following text:

For him that stealeth, or borrowth and returneth not, this book from its owner, let it change into a serpent in his hand and rend him. Let him be struck with palsy, and all his members blasted. Let him anguish in pain crying aloud for mercy, and let there be no surcease to this agony till he sing in dissolution. Let bookworms gnaw his entrails and when at last he goeth to his final punishment, let the flames of Hell consume him forever. 

These words are from a bookplate from the monastery of San Pedro in Barcelona, Spain, and I found it quoted in the book: A Gentle Madness: Bibliophiles, Bibliomanes, and the Eternal Passion for Books  by Nicholas A. Basbanes; the hard cover edition I own was published in 1995 by Henry Holt & Company. There is a newer edition, one dated 2012, and it is also available electronicaly for Amazon's Kindle. You'll find a link below if you care to learn more about the book and, perhaps, purchase your own copy (instead of borrowing it from someone else!). You may also find a printed copy at a good used bookstore or at your nearby used Barnes & Noble.

I have used the scary words of the bookplate on my more valuable books and I've done this for sa number of years. By golly, I've never lost a book yet when that admonishment went along with it.

I was gratified to receive a personal, handwritten note from Mr. Basbanes after I wrote to him complaining there was no "colophon" in his book about books. A colophon is usually a short paragraph at the end of volume describing the typography, what it is and a bit of its history. I liked the face that was used in the 1995 edition of A Gentle Madness, but there was no colophon naming it. I was so pleased to receive a response from the author and he indicated he did not know the name of the typeface used in the book, however, he kindly promised to include a colophon in his next edition. I don't know if he did, but I appreciate his concern, as he appreciated my interest in his book. And if you love books, you'll be fascinated by this one.

For more information on this book and/or to order a copy in Kindle or print, click on this link: Amazon